A return to normal business after gunman’s rampage put the capital on lockdown
The National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa has reopened since yesterday’s shooting incident in the capital, which resulted in the death of one soldier and placed a sizeable portion of the city on lockdown. The suspected gunman shot and killed an army reservist guarding the National War Memorial, then proceeded to Canada’s Parliament Buildings across the street, where there was further gunfire—blocks away from the National Gallery’s home.
Marc Mayer, the gallery’s director, had been working from home on Wednesday morning when he rang the office. “‘Don’t come in,’ they told me,” Mayer recalled on Thursday morning in Toronto, where he had travelled to help open the city’s art fair. The museum tweeted yesterday that “For everyone’s safety, the Gallery—including the parking garage—has been locked to entry until further notice.”
The shooting rocked not only the nation’s capital, but was felt throughout the country and came just days after another soldier was killed in a hit and run in nearby Quebec.
On Thursday, however, the gallery reopened at its regular Winter hours, 10am-8pm, with free admission from 5pm-8pm. “We look forward to seeing you! #ottawa”, the gallery posted to Twitter. Mayer also tried to ease the tension at the Toronto fair opening, extending an invitation to those in attendance. “Come to Ottawa,” he said during his welcome speech, “we’ll try to stay open.”